Mi Reina
















Several Sundays ago before we moved to Antigua, we were at church in Chimaltenango. The most adorable little Mayan lady who was about Joshua's height (just below my shoulder) came up to me and asked passionately, "Quien es esta reina?"(Who is this queen ?(and believe it or not she was referring to me)). I don't think I've ever felt more complimented, surprised, flattered in my life. She was a beautiful woman. I wish I had a picture of her. She was elderly, small, wrinkled, full of life, and color. She made me feel so large in size and I am just an average-sized citizen of the United States. She also reminded me of the importance of having of having spiritual eyes. Maybe I am a queen. She certainly is. Maybe we all are and we just don't see it. The people here are truly beautiful with all colors of skin, my favorites are all the shades of yummy chocolate (by the way the hot chocolate here is the BEST in the world). This picture isn't the exact woman, just a picture I found on the internet of a Cachikel Mayan woman. Her hair was long and in a braid like one of the above woman's hair. I think the people of the Guatemala are absolutely gorgeous so I added some more pictures. I added the picture of the young girl because of the light in her eyes and her beautiful face. So just imagine the lady from church super small, beautiful, long braided grayish black hair, and light in her eyes. We are all queens or kings or with the potential to become ones. I hope that I can act like one, a true one, who is kind and good and noble. I hope that I can always look for nobility and goodness in others.
(Sorry, but I hope to add a new family picture next time. I just don't have the technical ability to add them from this computer. I need to have a chat with my technician or take a class.)

3 comments:

busymama said...

You are a queen!!! Love you so much!

Dina said...

I just got caught up on your posts. I love all the pictures!! What a fun adventure. Landon was looking at them with me and said he wished we could go live somewhere else for three months! I agree you are a queen for sure.

Charlotte said...

I love these pictures! I was a missionary in Guatemala--mi gente. There is no place like it in the world. I hear ya about the firecrackers. I can't wait for you to experience Semana Santa in Antigua if you haven't yet. My husband and I backpacked through more of Guate I guess 9 years ago now so it has been awhile. Oh how I love it. I may just go drink something from a baggie.
Charlotte (pura chapina)